Vegetable Pizza w Tofu Ricotta
Pizza is a funny thing right?! Known for simple ingredients and ample amount of cheese, it's almost considered a western diet staple. Believe it or not, a very successful "cheese-less" pizza is constantly on rotation in our house, as it makes a great (and filling) side to many soups as well as being a queen on its own. When I have the time, I always go to this decadent Best-Ever Cheats Vegan Pizza. However, that number isn't exactly low fat, as the pesto and caramelised onions can demand a glug or two of oil. So in terms of creating a pizza that you could shamelessly have on a daily basis, look no further. It's packed with fiber with ample amount of veg, while also being perfectly cheesy. This tofu ricotta is light and squidgy whilst tasting FAB!! Plus, the best part is, you just use a food processor to do all the work for you, and then viola - it comes together in 30 minutes (cooking included). The recipe's a keeper.
- 2 pizza bases (vegan and GF - if desired)
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp Italian dried herbs
- 1 tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 button mushrooms
- 1 capsicum, stem and seeds removed
- 50g spinach (or 2 handfuls)
- 250g firm tofu
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves
- pepper and salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C, fan-forced.
- Grab your pizza bases, and smother with the tomato paste (2 tbsp each, or enough to cover). Sprinkle with the Italian herbs (or alternatively use a pizza sauce, or even pesto if you so desire).
- Blitz the beans in a food processor, until mostly smooth. Spread over the bases.
- Add the mushrooms, capsicum and spinach to the food processor (no need to wash it) and blitz until only small chunks remain. Take handfuls of the mixture, squeeze to remove excess moisture and then plonk on the bases. Remember the mixture will shrink down, so give a generous layer of the veg to the pizzas.
- Finally, rinse out the food processor and add the remaining ingredients. Blend until the tofu mixture resembles ricotta cheese. Crumble generously over the pizzas, as this is where most of the delicious flavour comes from.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes, or until the base is crispy and the cheese is golden. Eat immediately!!