Best-Ever Cheats Vegan Pizza // Vegan + GF
Who doesn't like pizza?? Um, no one that I am aware of. Sure, there are people that don't like cheese or are vegan like me which make the situation a little different, but it doesn't mean that pizza is the culprit. Much the opposite, the offending factors must be removed and then you are left with a delicious meal, that is kind of like no-other. I am certain you will love this pizza. Filled with caramelised onions, pesto and pumpkin - it's pretty attractive stuff. Plus you can't taste the greens, so don't go complaining about the texture - you hardly notice that it's there. The base situation is flexible, where you can use your favourite recipe, or make this a quick mid-night meal and buy a pre-prepared one. While it might not be the most wholesome, it defiantly doesn't have to be all doom and gloom as there are many respectable ones out there (just be sure to read the ingredients and stay away from anything you can't pronounce). Remember the fewer ingredients the better when it comes to bread - so with that in mind, I'm sure you'll find a base that is reasonable and makes this one quick meal, with massive attitude. Enjoy!
Makes four medium Pizzas
- 1/2 butternut pumpkin, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch of basil, leaves only
- 1 lemon, juice only
- handful of cashews
- 2 garlic cloves, minced/crushed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 4 large handfuls of spinach
- 4 vegan pizza bases (GF or oil free if desired)
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C.
- Place the pumpkin on a baking tray lined with paper and cook in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes, or until tender. Set aside when cooked.
- In a blender, combine the basil, lemon juice, cashews, garlic cloves and olive oil until smooth. Set aside while you do the onions.
- In a large fry-pan, water saute the onions until soft. After about 10 minutes their progress will have plateaued, and at this point add the sugar, caramelising until dark and tender.
- To assemble the pizza, take a base and slather with pesto. Then add one torn spinach handful per pizza, some onion and then finishing with the pumpkin. Place in the pre-heated oven on a baking tray for about 10-15 minutes, or until golden. Simply perfection!!