Epic Lentil Stuffed Jacket Potatoes // Vegan + GF + RSF + Oil Free Option
Jacket potatoes just make ya' feel fab you know?! They evoke campfire warm and fuzzies and really are just like an age-old taco concept, in that you stand and stuff the spud until your hearts content. I don't know anyone who would say they don't enjoy them and this vegan version with some lentil-"beef"-like mix to top it off is about to remind you once more why they are a super easy, delicious and nutritious staple you should regularly turn to. They are a meal prep, left-over-lovers delight and utterly scrumptious. This recipe takes inspiration from a Jamie Oliver recipes we had years ago that I remember used Worcestershire sauce in the beef topping, and it added a lovely savory flavour. I've done the same here, yet given the meat a ditch. No compromise on flavour, just a super delicious and nourishing meal. Enjoy honeybunches!!
Makes 6+ jacket potatoes, plus more lentil mixture
- 6+ medium-large potatoes, washed if need be
- olive oil (optional)
- salt & pepper
- one sprig rosemary
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 x 400g tin brown lentils, drained & rinsed
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 heaped tsp dijon mustard
- generous drizzle balsamic vinegar
- to serve: vegan sour cream (click here for recipe), mashed avocado, vegan bacon (such as this recipe), cherry tomatoes (like a salsa), vegan cheese, rocket etc.
- Preheat your oven to 200C. Prick all your potatoes with a fork multiple times, and add to a lined baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil (optional), generously season and add the rosemary. Massage all of this into the potatoes and then cook in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown and looking scrumptious.
- Meanwhile, add the onion, carrot and garlic to a pan and saute (with oil or water) for a couple of minutes. Add the lentils, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and vinegar. Then cook for 5-10 minutes more until the juices are absorbed and the mixture is looking softened and utterly fragrant.
- Serve the lentil mixture with the jacket potatoes (cut a slit into the top of the potatoes so they hold the mixture) as well as any other toppings you desire. Vegan sour cream and cheese is a good place to start. Enjoy!!