Homestyle Tofu Scrambled Eggs
If you're a lil' bit familiar with the whole 'vegan' thing, then the chances that you've heard of a tofu scramble are pretty high. It's a wonderful meal, seriously - I'm not knocking it, it fills you up, tastes great and will keep you full for yonks. However, every person who tries it understands that it's not aaaalll the similar to the real deal. This on the other hand, is bloomin' close. It's delicious and a tad more complicated than the tofu scramble, yet yields EPIC results. I've adapted it from the Smith & Daughters Recipe, to make it gluten-free and yet just as grand. I hope you enjoy this one HB's, it's real good!
- olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 450g firm tofu, drained & patted dry
- handful parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp plain Gluten-Free flour (or regular wheat flour if not GF)
- 1/2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- pinch sweet paprika
- pinch turmeric
- 3/4 tsp black salt (the sulphury stuff)
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp vegan butter
- Make the Eggy sauce first, by combing both flours, the nutritional yeast, paprika, turmeric and black salt in a small saucepan. Whisk to combine and place over medium-high heat. Add the soy milk gradually, whisking at the same time to incorporate all the dry ingredients into the wet. When the mixture is smooth, continue stirring for 5 or so minutes. The mixture will thicken as it heats, into a thick savoury sauce. When it starts to bubble take off the heat. Whisk in the dijon and vegan butter. Set aside.
- In a small frypan, add a lil drizzle of olive oil and sauté the onion and garlic. When soft add a lil' bit more olive oil and crumble in the tofu. Don't crumble the tofu too small as it will break up further in the cooking process. Leave the tofu to cook a bit on one side before tossing and cooking further on the other.
- Once the tofu is heated and slightly golden, pour in the eggy sauce, and gently stir to combine for a couple of minutes, until the sauce thickens further and heats through. Turn off the heat & season with pepper
- Serve the scramble over buttered toast with a sprinkle of parsely to finish. Alternatively, this goes amazingly in a breakfast burrito!