Vegan Corn Fritters // RSF + GF option
Corn fritters; a staple childhood favourite, and probably a nostalgic favourite for my parents too. I have clear memories of my mum or dad pulling out this old cookbook (falling apart at the seams sort of thing, no pictures of course) and making fritters for dinner on weeknights. They came together in an acceptable time frame in their granted week-night slot, and while they were cooking, boiled vegetables would be prepared to accompany them. It was a staple and due to their relatively say, un-intimidating flavour for young palettes, they were met with zero qualms - and so the memory replays itself as they were made again... and again. So if you want a trip down memory lane, or just happen to really like corn fritters (no issues there, who doesn't - they're might tasty), or want to deliver a vegan version of this old time favourite to a new generation - then here's your recipe!
Makes approx. 10 fritters
- 4 tbsp vegan egg ('Orgran' & 'Follow Your Heart' both have brands) - this is not a baking egg replacer, but one you can scramble and make omelettes with etc.
- 2 tbsp polenta
- 6 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup plain flour (or chickpea flour for GF)
- 2 cups fresh/tinned corn kernels, two ears worth if using fresh
- 1/2 an onion, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- salt & pepper
- 3 tbsp unsweetened plant mylk
- a high smoking point oil for cooking (e.g. grapeseed, olive oil)
- In a large bowl combine the vegan egg and polenta together. Add the water and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour, corn kernels, onion, baking soda and salt & pepper stirring until smooth and combined. Add the plant mylk and stir once more to bring it into a thick yet pour-able batter.
- Heat a tsp or two in a non-stick frying pan, and cook the fritters for a number of minutes each side, or until golden brown. Repeat to use up the rest of the batter and then enjoy!!
This recipe was included in a 'Veganizing Childhood Favourites' video on my YouTube Channel. Click through the button at the bottom of this post to watch the full video.