Vegan Chicken Paella // GF + Oil Free + RSF
This dish is so unexpectedly incredible. It has such a complex flavour that I can't exactly describe - other than it being mildly sweet, full of textural excitement and it screams comfort food. However, there's nothing to hide in this Vegan paella which is full of goodness and oil free to boot. The last point surprises me a little, because of how rich (in a way) and juicy is turns out. If I have one tip before you start, it is that you shouldn't over stir everything while cooking, as you don't want this to turn into pureed dog food (which I am mildly guilty of). Enjoy this staple honeybunches!! It's on a weekly rotation at our place :)
- 1 large handful of TVP
- 1/2 onion, diced small
- 1 red/green capsicum (or a mixture of both), large dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced (or 1 x 400g tin)
- 1 small jar/tin (120g) artichoke hearts, drained
- large handful green beans, top and tailed, then cut in half
- large handful frozen peas
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 tsp turmeric ground
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1-litre vegan chicken stock (or vegetable if you prefer)
- salt & pepper to taste
- chopped parsley & lemon wedges to serve
- Prepare your TVP first, by putting it into a small bowl and covering with boiling water. Don't overfill the bowl with water, as you are going to be pouring all the contents into the dish later on.
- In a large fry-pan, water saute the onion, capsicum and garlic until soft. Add the tomatoes, artichoke hearts, beans, peas and soaked TVP (water included), sauteing for 5-10 minutes until everything is lightly tender.
- Add the rice and toss over heat until slightly translucent. Now add the spices, stock and salt and pepper. Turn the heat to medium-high heat and let gently bubble away for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once most the liquid has evaporated, and the rice is cooked, cover and sit for 10 minutes off the heat.
- Serve with lemon and parsley, sharing with friends. Delicious!!