Sweet & Sour Crunchy Cauliflower Noodles // Vegan + GF + RSF
This is seriously good! Sweet & twangy from the sauce, which sits laced over crunchy delectable cauliflower & tender noodz. Yum-o! I've adapted a recipe from Hetty McKinnon's cookbook "Family", so that it's less 'hands on' and has a sure-fire way to ensure the cauliflower is cooked all the way through. Hope you give this a go and can par-take in the saucy-noodly hit I was very much grateful for :)
A fab variation on this would be to do it with some battered tofu as well, delish!
Adapted from - Hetty McKinnon's cookbook Family
- 1 medium-large cauliflower, broken into bite sized florets
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup chickpea (besan) flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant milk
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup GF breadcrumbs (or non GF breadcrumbs)
- olive oil
- 3 tbsp brown rice syrup
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce for non GF)
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp water
- 280g GF ramen-style noodles (or regular ramen noodles, or rice noodles etc.)
- drizzle sesame oil
- to serve: chopped spring onions, sesame seeds
- Pre-heat your oven to 220C.
- In a large bowl, add the brown rice flour, chickpea flour, garlic powder and salt & pepper, and whisk until combined. Make a well in the centre and add the plant milk and water (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp amount), whisking from the centre outwards until smooth.
- In another bowl, tip in the breadcrumbs and while your at it, grab a baking tray.
- Take a cauli floret, and coat thoroughly in the batter, tapping to remove the excess, toss in the crumbs and place on the tray. Repeat to use up all the cauliflower. Drizzle a little olive oil over the cauliflower and bake in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes. Flip & drizzle a little more oil on the floret, then bake for 10 minutes more in the oven.
- Meanwhile, make your sauce by adding the brown rice syrup, vinegar, tamari, tomato sauce and garlic to a small sauce pan. Whisk to combine and bring to a gentle simmer. Whisk the cornflour and 2 tbsp of water together in a small bowl and when the sauce is bubbling, add it to the saucepan and whisk, until the sauce thickens. It will only take a minute or two. Turn off the heat & set aside until ready to serve.
- Cook your noodles according to packet instructions as well, then when done, drain and to prevent them from sticking together, drizzle a little sesame oil over them & toss with a fork.
- Serve the noodles, with the crunchy cauliflower and the sweet & sour sauce. Top with sesame seeds and spring onions if you desire :)