Spinach & Feta Rolls
These were always a serious favourite growing up. A few French and Polish bakeries around the place did their own version and they were always OUT OF THIS WORLD DELICIOUS!!! So flaky and crunchy on the outside then a world of simple yet insanely scrumptious filling that never felt like you were eating a heck tonne of spinach. This is a veganised healthier version that includes a tofu-fetta in the mix that before you ask, really does work as a marvelous substitute. Happy days wonderful honeybunches, this one's a goodin'!!
- 375g (or thereabouts) firm tofu (not pressed)
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant mylk
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 heaped tsp dried mixed herbs
- generous pinch of salt & pepper
- 500g frozen spinach, defrosted and drained
- small handful dill, chopped
- small handful mint, chopped
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 4 sheets vegan puff pastry
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Make your tofu feta the morning before you make these (or earlier) to give it time to adopt the right flavour. In a medium contained crumble the tofu with your hands into "feta-like" chunks, then add the vinegar, plant mylk, lemon, dried mixed herbs and salt and pepper (the five ingredients below it in the ingredients list), mixing until combined. Pop the lid on and leave to sit for a couple of hours (minimum). Get your spinach out of the freezer to defrost at this stage as well.
- After such time has elapsed, preheat your oven to 200C and get your puff pastry sheets out of the freezer to defrost.
- In a large bowl combine the drained spinach, drained marinated tofu fetta, dill, mint, onion, garlic and nutritional yeast until combined. Add the flour in a couple of increments and stir until smooth (using your hands if you need too).
- Roll up the rolls in the puff pastry, using a little extra plant mylk to secure them and some more to brush on top before adding some sesame seeds (if using). Watch the video to see how I did this, or roll them up your own way (triangles would also be fab).
- Cook in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Want more like this? Leave a tip or become a patron.