Very often, I want to eat an extraordinary amount of greens in a supremely comforting format. Aloo Saag (best recipe in this cookbook) does the job, Spanakopita too & now this delicious Spinach Lasagna. It's not just flavoured with spinach. It's a cheesy, herby, cauliflower and tofu green béchamel that bakes up into a warm hug of a dish.
Perfect to make on weekends & eat throughout the week. I know I'm not the only one who's tired of eating traditional veggie lasagna so many times, so I hope you like this variation!
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- knob vegan butter
- 200g gluten-free lasagna sheets
- 80g vegan cheese, grated
- 1/2 small-medium cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 bunch spinach, roots removed & washed thoroughly
- 450ml unsweetened soy milk (or oat if not GF)
- 400ml coconut milk
- 450g firm tofu, drained & pressed dry
- 120g marinated green olives
- 1/4 cup vegan basil pesto
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- small handful fresh dill (or parsley)
- 2 tbsp cornflour/tapioca starch/arrowroot
- 1 tsp vegan chicken stock powder
- pinch nutmeg
- salt & pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180C/360F.
- Heat the knob of vegan butter in a small fry-pan on low heat, and saute the onion & garlic until soft & fragrant. Take off the hob & set aside.
- Meanwhile, steam or boil the cauliflower until just tender, adding the spinach to the pot/boiling water in the last minute to wilt. Drain both. Press out any excess moisture from the spinach with the back of a spoon and and set aside.
- Depending on the size of your blender or food processor you might have to make the Green Béchamel in a couple of batches. Blend the drained cauliflower & spinach along with the remaining Green Béchamel ingredients until smooth. The mixture will seem super runny, but it will firm up in the oven (I promise). Pour into a large bowl and stir through the onion/garlic mixture.
- In a medium-large lasagna dish, layer the lasagna sheets with the Green Béchamel mixture. Before adding the the last layer of Béchamel, stir through the grated vegan cheese before spreading on top.
- Place your dish on a baking tray and bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes. Leave to stand for at least 20 minutes before eating, for the flavours to settle and it to structurally stabilise.