Spanish Frittata with Onion, Parsley Pickle
Never would I ever have thought that this could be amongst the vegan recipes I have on hand. The taste and texture is so wonderfully convincing and accurate to how I remember, it's a crazy phenomenon!! The eggs cook evenly and gently amongst the potatoes and paired with this pickle I remembered from a Jamie Oliver recipe, it is such a quaint little delicious dish. A perfect way to get the most out of your vegan eggs, as well as prove to your friends and family that you really don't have to miss out on a thing when going vegan. This shouldn't work - but it does!!
- 1 large sprig of rosemary, leaves (??) removed and roughly chopped
- oil (I used olive)
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 potatoes, peeled, chopped and boiled until soft
- 2 vegan eggs, prepared according to the packet instructions
- small handful of vegan parmesan
- 1/2 red onion, super thinly sliced
- small handful of parsley, leaves only
- half a lemon, juice only
- Pre-heat your oven to its highest temperature and put it on the grill setting.
- Take a small frypan that can go in the oven, and put a tsp of oil in it along with the rosemary and onion. Saute until the onion is mostly soft and has some colour.
- Add the cooked potatoes to the pan, and toss to coat in the herbs and onion. Spread out evenly in the pan, then pour in the vegan egg mixture. You may need to spread out the vegan egg, so that it enters all the nooks between the potato and forms one whole frittata. Season at this point if you so desire.
- Cook for 5 minutes on medium heat, then sprinkle over the parmesan and cook for a few more.
- Transfer to the oven, adding a little drizzle of oil over the frittata to ensure the potatoes crisp up. Place the pan on the top rack, and leave for 5-10 minutes until some colour has emerged and it's looking (and smelling) incredible!
- Meanwhile, make the pickle, by mixing the onion, parsley and lemon juice together in small bowl. After 5 minutes or so, the onion will have softened - and its colour turned slightly pink. When this happens you know it's ready.
- Take the frittata out of the oven, top with the pickle (juice and all) and serve. Pairing with some rocket for a breakfast or lunch would be delicious!