Hearty Spaghetti Bolognese // Vegan + Oil Free + GF + RSF
Spaghetti Bolognese or Spag-Bog (as us kids used to call it) was a regular feature at the dinner table growing up. Hide some grated veg in there and all at the dinner table were pretty happy. Since going vegan I think I've only ever had a vegan version once or twice, trying out the new vegan "mince" on the block with this really-don't-need-a-recipe kinda dish. To be honest, soy mince is just not something I become overly excited about. It just doesn't carry that much... pizzaz. Well that goes for the ones I've tried so far anyways, which really hasn't been that many.
Since seeing many delicious lentil based bolognese sauces around the place I have wanted to give one ago. By adding my own little spin to it, I really wasn't disoppointed AT ALL. Super scrummy and the perfect thing to make a big batch of for last-minute meals throughout the week. Yum.
Serves enough sauce for 4-8, depending on how hungry you are
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 stick celery, finely diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 portobello mushrooms, diced small (or 2 heaped cups of any type of chopped mushrooms)
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed
- 1 x 400g crushed/chopped tomatoes
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup passata (or pasta sauce)
- 1 tbsp dried italian herb mix (or dried mixed herbs)
- 1 tbsp vegan worstechire sauce
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 heaped tbsp nutritionl yeast
- vegan parmesan to serve or any grated vegan cheese
- In a large non-stick pot (or deep-ish fry-pan), saute the onion, carrot, celery and garlic for about 3-5 minutes in a little oil (or saute the veg in water for this recipe to be oil free).
- Add the bay leaves and mushrooms, stiring and cooking for 3 minutes more until the mushrooms have shrunk down and are fragrant.
- Now add to the pot the lentils, tin of tomatoes, vegetable stock, passata, herbs, worstechire sauce, coconut sugar, nutritional yeast and pepper. Stir to combine, bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and let the lentils cook for 40 minutes. Stir once or twice during this time.
- After that time has elapsed, put some pasta on to serve it with if desired. Season the bolognaise and add a splash more water to loosen if required. Once the pasta has cooked, serve with the sauce and sprinkle generously with the vegan parmesan if desired. Enjoy!