Soba Noodle, Herb & Roast Vegetable Salad
This is such a delicious salad, yet with a nice little surprising twist - delivered by the raw fennel seeds. It's absolutely perfect!! I have to say, that it's also a fabulous lunch or dinner, any time of year. You see, while you do have to turn the oven on to make it, ultimately you have a semi-warm salad with no particular "rich" flavours or grains. Yet it is also very comforting and surprisingly filling. It also keeps very well - making it unbelievably good for school, work or uni lunches on the go. If you are deterred by the fennel idea - then don't fear. I used to be a fennel sceptic myself some years ago, yet I was utterly turned round my this, and many other subtlely fennel dishes. So give it a go, because if it's any constellation, every person I've made it for, has fallen head over heals for it.
- 270g GF buckwheat soba noodles
- 4 potatoes, washed and cubed
- 1 medium sweet potato, washed and cubed
- 1 large red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- 2 tsp powdered garlic
- 1 tsp dulse flakes (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1 large cucumber, washed and finely diced
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C fan-forced.
- Cook the noodles according to packet instructions, and then rinse with warm water until they are all separated and free from the threat of becoming congealed.
- Place both kinds of potatoes and the onion in a large bowl, followed by the paprika, mixed herbs, garlic, dulse (if using) and salt & pepper. Build up a tossing motion to evenly disperse the seasonings over the veggies. Spread them out on a lined baking tray, and roast for 40 minutes in the pre-heated oven.
- In a large bowl, place the noodles (untangling and pulling them apart with your hands), cucumber, fennel seeds and oil, mixing around to fully coat the noodles in the other ingredients.
- When the vegetables are roasted and caramelised, add to the noodles and then do one final toss to combine. Store in the fridge when not consuming. It keeps for 4-5 days.