Salsa Verde, Leek & Butter Bean Penne
Oooh wow, this a keeper Honeybunches! I stumbled across the combo while using up leftovers a few weeks back, and having refined it a smidge since, it's safe to say I'm feeling rather confident about it. If you're a fan of pesto pasta, or specifically this recipe which draws in positive reviews from those who try it, then I bet you this will be totally up your street as well. Salsa verde is just heavenly, and full of flavour in the most wonderful way. Yes, the measurements are a little loose, but I've made it multiple times following them (or close enough) a number of times now and bloomin' heck all you need is love HB's. No seriously, you can't go wrong. And beans in pasta - sounds basic and super "starchy" but the butter beans are almost creamy, it's wonderful. So don't knock it until you try it! Hope you enjoy this one Honeybunches!!
- 350g GF (or not) penne pasta
- 1 leek, rinsed, top and tailed and cut into half moons
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 x 400g tin butter beans, drained (can use other beans, like cannellini etc. but butter beans do hold their shape extraordinarily well in this, and have a welcome flavour/texture)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 handfuls parsley leaves
- 1 handful dill fronds
- 12 chives
- small handful basil leaves
- small handful mint leaves
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp capers
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt & pepper
- Start by making your salsa verde by blending all the ingredients listed under the Salsa Verde section of the ingredients together in a food processor or blender. The texture you see in the photo is from a food processor so if you'd like a smoother consistency, use a blender. Scrape down the sides so everything is processed/blended well and set aside until needed.
- Pop your pasta onto boil according to the packet instructions. When al dente, drain & set aside until needed.
- Sauté your onion and garlic in a little olive oil until the leek is soft (watch it as it can burn easily) and a touch golden, yet still a little lively in colour. Add the drained beans, stir to remove any moisture on them and to warm through.
- Add all the salsa verde, and stir to coat the leeks and beans. Tip in the drained pasta and stir everything to combine. Might look like the pasta: verde ratio is out, but keep mixing and you'll see there is enough if you used the 350g of pasta mentioned. Serve & enjoy!