Roasted Pumpkin & Greens Autumnal Salad // Vegan + GF + RSF
Hey Honeybunches, so I know-I know - salads are salads are salads. However, since moving away from the "leafy green-based salads" and exploring all the utterly phenomenal heartier salads out there, which generally have a roasted-something-or-other in them, I have become extremely enthusiastic about them. So yes, this does have some leafy greens in it, but it strikes a wonderful balance of being substantial enough that you appreciate it as a dish on its own (and not merely some tokenistic strokes of fiber on the edge of your plate), while happily enjoying your greens in a seriously delicious format. This salad embraces and celebrates autumnal veg, and I hope you enjoy it as much as my family and I did!
Serves 4-8 (depending on size of serve)
- 3 cups chopped pumpkin (Butternut or Kent etc.), into bit sized chunks
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 large handful green beans
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 3 large handfuls lettuce mix/spinach leaves
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/3 cup. cashew cheese, cubed (if you can't find a block of this where you live - pomegranate arils would be a great alternative 'wow' ingredient)
- balsamic vinaigrette (store bought or homemade)
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C fan-forced. Tip the pumpkin chunks onto a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and season generously with salt & pepper. Use your hands to coat the pumpkin in the oil and then ensure they are spread out evenly on the tray, before baking in the pre-heated oven for 30-35 minutes, or until soft and beginning to caramelize.
- Meanwhile, take your broccolini and asparagus and chop off the woody ends of both. Run your knife vertically down the veg, so that the width is reduced and they are more bite-sized. Top and tail your green beans and add them along with the broccolini and asparagus to another baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt & pepper and sprinkle over the garlic powder and nutritional yeast. Use your hands again to massage the seasoning into the veg and toss everything to combine. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes (overlapping with the pumpkin for time and energy efficiency).
- While all the veg is cooking, wash your salad leaves, prepare your avocado and cashew cheese/pomegranate. Take a large platter and add the leaves, dressing them in some vinaigrette before adding the roasted veg, avocado and cashew cheese to finish. Drizzle with more vinaigrette before serving.