Pumpkin, Spinach & Ricotta Rolls // Vegan + RSF
These are simply splendid! Fabulous cozy-cafe food that you can now make at home no problemò because it's très easy and the end result is just as delicious as the original-ricotta version. How do we make that happen? With the trusty help of firm tofu and a few of its seasoning-friends. I hope you find these as lovely as my family and I do. Enjoy HB's!!
Makes approx. 20 rolls.
- 3 cups bite-sized chunks of pumpkin
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 300g firm tofu, patted dry
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 small-medium onion, finely diced
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- handful parsley, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan parmesan (or cheddar/bite-y vegan cheese)
- 3-4 sheets of vegan puff pastry, thawed
- to finish: plant-based milk & seeds of choice (sesame, flax etc.)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C. Grab a baking tray (lined with baking paper) and put the pumpkin chunks on it. Drizzle over some olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Toss with your hands to coat and then bake in the pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until soft and lightly brown.
- Meanwhile, in a food-processor or blender, add the tofu, nutritional yeast, 2 tbsp of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, mixed herbs and a generous sprinkling of salt. Blitz until the texture of ricotta. Put the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- In a small fry-pan, add a drizzle of olive oil and saute the onion until soft. Add the spinach, cover and let wilt for a minute or two. Turn off the heat and add the onion/spinach to the tofu ricotta. When the pumpkin is cooked, turn the oven up to 220C, then squish each chunk with a fork once (to mash them a little), then add to the bowl. Add the parsley and vegan cheese. Mix thoroughly to combine.
- Grab your puff pastry and assemble the rolls as you would with a sausage roll, using the plant milk to help them stick shut, and adhere the seeds to the top. Once assembled, bake in the pre-heated oven (220C) for 20 minutes or until golden brown and adequately puffed. Enjoy.