New & Improved Lentil Sausage Rolls // Vegan + RSF + GF option
This is perhaps the most-loved recipe I have developed, with it being one I reguarly whip up for functions, events, picnics, parties and whatever else. They are so dang tasty, full of flavour, texturally on-point, morish and actually full of goodness when you consider that the base is merely oodles of brown lentils and oats. Yep, it's a savoury porridge essentially - yet how those ingredients result in such delicious vegan sausage rolls will always be a mystery.
This is a little sneak-peak from the cookbook - and will be the only recipe I'll be sharing. However, good-gracious it's a goodie :))!! This new and improved version is quicker to make, has less tricky ingredients to get your hands on, and has an even better texture than the previous recipe. I do hope you get your mouth around at least a couple of these in your lifetime, they're incredibly good - and yes the horn tooting is now over, on with the recipe ->
makes approx. 16 medium lentil rolls
- 2 tins (400g) brown lentils 11⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 tsp vegan stock power 11⁄4 cup quick oats
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp tamari (soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tsp black strap molasses or any liquid sweetener
- 1 tbsp mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper
- 1 large carrot grated
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice flour
- puff pastry sheets (approx. 3-4) – use GF if desired
- sesame seeds
- plant mylk
- Preheat your oven to 220C (430F) and take out your puff pastry to thaw.
- Rinse and drain your lentils. Place them in a pot with the stock powder, water and oats. Cook on medium heat until the oats are cooked and the mixture is thickened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (minus the pastry, sesame seeds and mylk), stirring to combine.
- Take half a sheet of pastry, and place adequate filling down the center. Brush one side with plant mylk and roll to secure. Cut to size if desired and place on a lined baking tray. Brush with the mylk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.