Buttered Miso Tofu & Broccoli Noodles
This is a slippery, slurpy bowl of comforting yum. Chewy noodles in gentle umami seasoning - it's soul & stomach happy food. I know I'm using nursery foods to describe this, but it really is one of those recipes that's just so comforting your eyes might well up during the eating.
Of course, jazz this recipe up as you please - broccoli & tofu are just the beginning baby. Add more vegetables, chilli crisp, toasted cashews... just don't skimp on the spring onions, they add a necessary astringency to the rich sauce.
- 180g dried brown rice noodles, or 2 servings of something similar
- 1 head broccoli, florets chopped small
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 60g vegan butter
- 2 tsp white miso paste
- 2 tsp tamari
- 1/2 tsp "chicken" stock powder
- sunflower oil
- 300g firm tofu, pressed dry & chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 heaped tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tamari
- drizzle garlic olive oil
- 1/2 "chicken" stock powder
To Serve: spring onions, finely chopped
- Cook the noodles according to packet instructions. Drizzle a little oil over the drained noodles & toss through to prevent them congealing together. Set aside.
- Place the pressed & chopped tofu into a large bowl, along with the remaining Tofu ingredients. Toss to combine. Heat a little sunflower oil in a fry pan and once hot topple in the tofu. Fry on medium-high heat until most sides are golden/caramelised. Add the broccoli pieces and toss so more are in contact with the bottom of the pan. When the broccoli is a little charred, add a splash of water to the pan and cover with a lid or tray. Leave to steam for a minute or two until most of the water has evaporated & the broccoli is tender. Remove the tofu & broccoli to a plate.
- Put the fry pan back on the heat and add the garlic & vegan butter. Swizzle the pan to melt the butter and saute the garlic. Once fragrant, add the miso paste, tamari & stock powder. Turn the heat to low and using a rubber spatula, press the miso into the pan to melt/amalgamate (it won't fully, that's fine - it will when you toss it through the noodles).
- Tip the noodles into the buttery miso and stir to coat. Serve with the tofu & broccoli, sprinkling with finely chopped spring onions to finish.