Minestrone Soup w Basil Toastie
My take on the classic, Minestrone. So hearty & nourishing. A weeknight staple come the cooler months.
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped green beans
- 1 zucchini, finely diced
- 1 cup chopped packed kale
- 1 400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp italian herb mix
- 2 cups GF pasta (or more if you dare)
- black pepper
- 2 pieces sourdough bread
- small handful of chopped basil leaves
- 1 slice vegan cheese (bio cheese can be found in major Australian supermarkets)
- vegan butter
- Water saute the onion, carrot and celery until soft (7-10 minutes approx).
- Add the next eight ingredients to the pot and bring to the boil. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook until the pasta is al dente. Meanwhile prepare the toastie.
- To make the toastie, place the cheese and basil between the two pieces of bread and then lightly spread the exterior facades with the vegan butter. Toast in a sandwich press (or in a fry pan if you don't have one).
- Once the pasta is cooked, reduce to a simmer and season to perfection with the pepper (the stock and tomatoes already add a saltiness to the soup). You may need to add more water, if it has reduced to far down. Warm through and serve with the toastie.