Lemon Pepper Tofu
These savoury, crunchy, bright, golden mouthfuls are incredible! Lemon pepper is a new flavour profile to me. I mean it's not hard to imagine - but it's not a spice mix I grew up with. I've seen a few top-tier salad bars boast the most lusciously crumbed lemon pepper tofu - and it didn't take long before I wanted to make my own. These bites are delicious as they are with a little mayonnaise (how I've inhaled them), but would also be great on a salad or cold in lunchboxes.
Gluten-free cornflakes make for a delicious crunchy coating, and combined with a quick oil-slurry dredge - come together in no time.
- 450g extra-firm tofu
- zest of 1 lemon, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp cracked or white pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vegan chicken stock powder
- 50g gluten-free cornflakes, blitzed into crumbs
- 1 heaped tbsp cornflour/tapioca starch/arrowroot starch
- drizzle sunflower oil
- Preheat your oven to 180C/360F.
- Drain your tofu of excess water, slice & firmly press dry between a clean tea-towel or plenty of paper towel. Chop into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the lemon zest, thyme, oregano, dill, pepper, salt, vegan chicken stock powder and crushed cornflakes. Stir to combine. In a separate bowl, add the cornflour (or other starch) and a drizzle of sunflower oil. Whisk into a runny batter, adding a little more oil if necessary.
- Add the tofu to the starchy oil and gently toss/stir through to coat. Either a few pieces at a time (for best crumb coverage) or all at once (if time pressed) - add the tofu to the Crumb and toss to combine in the crunchy coating. Transfer the coated tofu to a lined baking tray & bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until lightly golden, but not rock hard.
Want more like this? Leave a tip or become a patron.