Kale & Basil Pesto Pasta
This pasta is one wholesome flavour-packed par-tay in ya' mouth. The kale in the pesto bulks it up to be this thick green paste from the gods which coasts and surrounds each little pasta strand, getting into all it's crevices, ensuring it doesn't miss out on any of the action. The addition of green beans and juicy plump olives in this pasta (which is delicious hot or cold by the way) add to the blend of flavours and textures, only elevating it from 'fab' to 'far-out GIVE ME THE RECIPE'!!!
This recipe would be great to take to something where you have to bring a big ol' bowl of something - ya know those occasions? Now on with the recipe!
- 500g pasta (I used Casarecce shaped pasta, but any will do - including a GF variety)
- 300g green beans, trimmed
- 4 stalks of curly kale, leaves removed (about 1/2 a bunch)
- 1 large bunch basil, leaves only
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- generous pinch of pepper
- 1 large handful, raw walnuts
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 150g pitted olives (kalamata, or whatever you like)
- vegan parmesan, to serve (optional)
- Cook your pasta according to cooking directions, adding the green beans in the last 2 minutes of cooking time. Drain (leaving a splash of cooking water in with the pasta), and set aside until needed.
- Meanwhile, make your pesto by combining in a blender or food processor the kale, basil, garlic powder, lemon juice, salt, pepper, walnuts, oil and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth, adding an extra drizzle of olive oil or water if needed to combine. There should be no large chunks of kale or walnut left.
- Pour all the pesto over the pasta & beans and stir until everything is coated nicely. Add in the olives, and stir once more ensuring everything is pesto-ed up and looking immensly green and luscious.
- Serve with a sprinkling of vegan parmesan if you desire, otherwise dig in whilst hot, or chill before serving.
Want more like this? Leave a tip or become a patron.