Genuinely Delicious Veggie Skewers // Vegan + GF + RSF
Veggie skewers are a funny thing. I definitely wouldn't have shown excitement at the sight of them say when I was 12, but hand me a plate of them now and they'll taste like some of the most delicious grub I've ever had. I think the difference lies in my taste buds attitude adjustment, meaning that they're far more welcoming to veg nowadays. They expect veggies to be the main component of a dish and so there's no underlying disappointment that spoils the taste of the wee veg as it travels down the hatch. The veg is celebrated rather than looked down upon with "I-know-I-could-be-doing-better" eyes.
But the upshot is kiddos, that these taste flippin' special - and the pineapple is a key player in that, so don't skimp on it cherubs.
Makes 6+ veggie skewers (plus a little extra marinade) - adjust accordingly
- 12 bite-sized pieces of capsicum
- 1 red onion, cut into chunks
- 12 bite-sized pieces of pineapple
- 12 small button mushrooms (or swiss browns etc.)
- 12 bite-sized pieces of zucchini
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tsp old bay seasoning (or another of sweet paprika)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- salt & pepper
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C and prep all the veg.
- Make the skewers by threading (in a pattern if you desire) 2 pieces of each veg/fruit (the capsicum, red onion, pineapple, mushrooms and zucchini) onto 6 wooden skewers.
- Make the marinade by whisking together the olive oil, lemon juice, spices, garlic, salt & pepper until smooth.
- Line a baking tray and roll each skewer in the marinade, coating thoroughly before placing on the tray. Repeat with all the skewers and pour any extra marinade over the skewers. Let them stand for 15 minutes.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes (turning once halfway) then gobble down honeybunches!