Flavour-Packed Potato & Leek Soup // Vegan + GF + RSF
I'm kind of a believer that soup is soup and that while it sure does have it's purpose, half the time these new fancy-schmancy sweet potato spiced-whatever varieties that pop up here there and everywhere are actually like adult baby-food that isn't all that delicious.
So when it came to making this soup as a homage to the beyond epic one served in Ratatouille (I'm totally taking a wild guess on what the actual flavour was by the way honeybunches), I wanted it to carry some oomph ya know?! Afterall, for a soup to have a food critique going "wow-wee" it's got to be pretty phenomenal.
This soup is just that - a conversation starter, FOR SURE. It's one that embraces the potato and leek flavour but then carries it to the height of the heavens making it just splendid. Hope you enjoy honeybunches <3
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 2 large or 3 medium-small leeks, cut into half moons
- 3 medium-large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups vegan chicken stock (or vegetable if you don't have it)
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp miso paste
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk
- salt & pepper
- fresh parsley to serve
- Heat a little oil in a large non-stick pot (or whatever you have) and saute the onion, garlic and leeks until soft and starting to go lightly golden.
- Add the cubed potatoes and the stock, stirring to deglaze the pan. Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Uncover, and add the mixed herbs, nooch, miso paste, coconut cream, soy milk and a pinch of salt & pepper. Stir to combine.
- Blend until smooth in a food processor or blender and serve with some chopped parsley sprinkled on top and some crusty bread on the side. Deelish!!