Heavenly Eggplant Parmigiana // Vegan + GF + RSF
Eggplant parmigiana is something I have had on my list for a long while to make. It sounds fabulous yet eggplant is one of those veg that I've had under-cooked a few too many times to make me incredibly enthusiastic about it. But I've been mastering it more and more recently and this recipe is perfect for anyone who has similar reservations about the ol' aubergine because it sure does become "melt-in-your-mouth" texture wise and the recipes is so incredibly simple you can definitely do it. While I don't think the bird-containing parmigiana is considered fancy on any level (due to it's pub-meal-status, at least where I live) this one would actually be a really nice 'special' meal to make for someone you care about. You'll love it, I promise :))
Makes approx. 8 parmigiana
- 1 large eggplant, sliced thinly (from top to bottom)
- 2 cups (approx) breadcrumbs (GF if desired)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- salt & pepper
- olive oil
- unsweetened plant mylk
- plain flour (GF if desired)
- vegan "ham" (GF if desired), approx 8 slices
- tomato pasta sauce/passata
- vegan cheese, grated
- pasta to serve (rocket would also be nice)
- Preheat your oven to 200C.
- Thinly slice your eggplant so you are left with thin "chicken" fillet style shapes. Place on a wire rack or tray and sprinkle generously with salt. Leave for a minimum of 20 minutes to sweat.
- Meanwhile prepare the breading by mixing the breadcrumbs with the nooch, mixed herbs, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika and salt & pepper. When combined set aside.
- Wash the eggplants thoroughly when they have sweated for some time and set up your breading station at the same time. Set up a bowl with some flour in it, another with some plant mylk and finally one with your breadcrumbs as well. Take a piece of eggplant and coat in the flour (tapping off the excess), then the plant mylk and lastly coat generously with the breadcrumbs. Place on a lined baking tray and repeat with all the eggplant slices. Brush a little olive oil over the top of each eggplant and cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Flip over all the eggplant, then top each with a slice of the vegan "ham", a scoopful of tomato pasta sauce and a small handful of grated vegan cheese before returning to the oven for about 10 minutes (or until looking mighty fine). Serve with some pasta and a little rocket if desired. How fabulous?!