Simple Stress-Free Fruit Tart // Vegan + GF + RSF
This tart might look unassuming, but it's flavours are next level! The shell, although crumbly (however, I argue this works in the tarts favor, as you can mop up the crunchy crumbs with the creamy interior - yum), has a caramely note to it, the interior is sweet, vanillary and with a lemony-twang (YUM!) and the fruit provides a refreshing note that marries everything together. Need a simple dessert at your next dinner party or birthday, look no further!
Makes 1 x 24cm (or 9 1/2 inch) fruit cake
- 250g approx. plain sweet vegan biscuits (GF or not), e.g. arrowroot or scotch fingers
- 1/4 cup vegan butter/margarine
- 115g vegan cream cheese (half a tub of Tofutti cream cheese, which is what I recommend)
- 1 1/2 cups natural COYO yogurt
- juice & zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- fresh fruit to top of your choice
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C, popping the vegan butter/margarine in a heat-proof bowl and into the oven to melt.
- Place the biscuits in the bowl of a food processor (or alternatively bash inside a bag with a rolling pin), and blitz to the texture of fine sand. Add the melted butter and blitz into the texture of wet sand...hmmm.
- Tip into a 24cm/9 1/2 inch (approx.) pie, tart or cake tin, and press the crumbs up the sides (only halfway if using a cake tin) firmly with the back of a spoon, your hands or the damp outside of a glass. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes, or until slightly golden & smelling sensational.
- Meanwhile make your filling, by beating the COYO in the bowl of a mix master (or with electric beaters) until thickened. Add in the cream cheese and beat until thoroughly combined. Add the lemon juice & zest, vanilla and maple syrup, beat once more to combine. Transfer the mixture to the fridge to chill and thicken slightly before serving.
- Once the tart shell has cooled, add the creamy filling to it's center and pile on fresh (seasonal even) fruit of your choice. Slice & serve, yes it has a slight crumble to it, but you can mop it up with the creamy filling. Plus, the taste will shut everyone up so don't stress about it's imperfect presentation!