Cinnamon Doughnut French Toast // Vegan + RSF + GF Option + Oil Free Option
French toast is such a winner. While you might not think you feel like it, biting into it (especially when it's as delicious as this version) you realise you had been missing out big time. This version tastes and will leave your kitchen smelling like an incredible cinnamon doughnut. HELLOOO!! It's SO RIDICULOUS how good this tastes. Yeah, yeah so it's just cooked bread, but hold on there speed racer, because it really does transform into something far more sophisticated than the concept that it appears to be. Don't mind the bizarre tsp of nutritional yeast in there honeybunches, it all adds to the bizarrely egg-like mixture that your bread bathes in. This is so close to the original you won't miss the eggs I promise, nor will your lucky friends/fam who get to try some.
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup plant mylk
- 4 slices bread (GF if desired)
- vegan butter/a light flavoured oil to cook with
- to serve: maple syrup, berries, fruit etc.
- In a large bowl combine the first seven ingredients into as much of a paste as you can manage. Then bit by bit add the plant mylk until combined and a smooth "eggy"-looking mixture has formed.
- Heat a non-stick pan over the heat and add a little vegan butter or oil (if desired). Soak one piece of bread at a time (cut into triangles or strips, whatever you like) on both sides for a minute or two before tapping off the excess and adding to the pan. Cook on both sides until golden brown and smelling incredible.
- Repeat the cooking process and serve with whatever you fancy :)