Crispy Vegan Chicken Sushi Handrolls
Here in Australia, plant-based chicken sushi has hit one of the major supermarkets. While I'm truly thrilled at his offering - the gluten intolerance in me is a little jealous (because they're not GF)! But the whoa is me - in me - realised that's no problemo - because crispy GF vegan chicken products are everywhere & that's all I need to make my own.
It might not be exactly the crispy chewy chicken experience, but what it is - is delicious. In my opinion, a little vegan mayo & chopped spring onions are essential for making each bite pop.
- 1 cup (220g) sushi rice
- 3 tbsp sushi vinegar seasoning
- 3 nori sheets (sushi seaweed)
- 6 small lettuce leaves, stems removed & torn into strips
- 1 small carrot, julienned
- 1 small cucumber, seeds removed & julienned
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 2 plant-based chicken burgers (check vegan & GF, if required - I used Fry's)
- vegan mayonaise (I used Veganaise)
To Serve: pickled ginger, tamari/soy sauce & more mayonnaise, if desired
- Drain the rice thoroughly three times, or until the water runs clear. Giggle free of excess water & add to a pot along with 2 cups (500ml) of freshly boiled water. Stir once, then simmer for 15 minutes without stirring, until all the water has evaporated. Cover with a lid & let stand for 15 minutes. Alternatively, follow the rice packet's instructions.
- In the meanwhile, prepare your veg & cook your burgers according to packet instructions. I like to overcook them slightly, so that they get really crispy. Slice into strips & set aside.
- Pour the sushi vinegar seasoning over the rice & using a metal spoon stir through. Leave to cool completely - which I do in the fridge to speed things up.
- Once the rice has come to room temperature, you're ready to roll. Place your first nori sheet shiny side down on a bamboo sushi mat & cover with 1/3 of the rice, leaving a 2cm strip at the edge furthest away from you. If you have no clue what you're doing here - I suggest looking up a YouTube tutorial. Visuals are more straightforward that words. Fill with carrot, cucumber, lettuce, spring onion, plant-based chicken & mayonnaise, before tightly rolling. Repeat, to use all the rice - you may have some veg left over, depending on their size.
- Chill the handrolls for 5-10 minutes before slicing & enjoying with pickled ginger, tamari & more mayonnaise if desired. Best eaten day of making.