Random, But Incredibly Good Cauliflower Tacos
These came about like all good recipes do, using up bits and bobs in the fridge and pantry. I get they're a little random, but my goodness are they good! The different textures and flavours somehow marry perfectly, you'll be congratulating yourself (or the cook) at making $8 a pop tacos at home. Woo!
- 1 pack corn tortillas
- cashew nut cheese
- vegan basil pesto
- large handful lettuce leaves, roughly torn
- 1 cucumber, sliced into thin sticks
- 1 avocado, sliced into wedges
- micro-greens (optional)
- vegan garlic aioli
- 1/2 med-large cauliflower, broken into bite sized florets
- 1/4 cup rice flour (brown or regular)
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour (besan)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp each garlic powder, onion powder & sweet paprika
- 1/2 cup GF breadcrumbs (or regular bread-crumbs for non GF)
- light flavoured vegetable oil (e.g. sunflower, grapeseed etc.)
- 1 brown onion, sliced into 1/2 cm half-moons
- 2 tbsp GF flour (e.g. plain, rice or for non-GF use regular wheat flour)
- Pre-heat your oven to 220C (430F). Mix the rice flour, chickpea flour, milk, water and spices together with a whisk until smooth to form a batter. Pop the breadcrumbs into a seperate bowl. Dip the florets into the batter, tap off any excess, then coat in the breadcrumbs. Lay on a lined baking tray and repeat with all the cauliflower florets. Drizzle oil over all of the florets and bake in the pre-heated oven for 10 mins. Turn over, drizzle with a little more oil and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Make the crispy onions by tossing the slices in the flour to coat. Heat 1/2 cm (very generous glug) of light-flavoured vegetable oil in a fry pan. Once hot add a handful of the onions. Let crisp up (with minimal fussing), toss once to crisp up on the other side. Transfer the onions to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat with all the onions.
- Place the corn tortillas in the oven for a couple of minutes to warm up.
- To assemble, spread a little cashew cheese and pesto onto the tortilla, then add some lettuce leaves, cucumber, avocado, crispy cauliflower, crispy onion and micro-greens (if using). Then finish with a squirt of aioli. Eat up! So good.
Want more like this? Leave a tip or become a patron.