Crunchy Cauliflower Tacos
For individuals wishing to make the switch to a healthier lifestyle I think that the lengths to which this can be achieved can appear overwhelming. With the whole "from the earth" philosophy, it can appear that one will be chained to their kitchen day in day out, preparing smoothies, nut mylks, casseroles, salads, cashew cheeses for future recipes and dehydrating wraps a day in advance. If one is not already familiar with the runnings of a kitchen then I'm sure this would turn many away. That's why I like to show you dead easy recipes as well as recipes for when you have a little more time on your hands. You've got to make it work for you, and you CAN!
Anyway, this recipe uses a few little short cuts to make cauliflower into a crunchy Mexican fiesta in your mouth. I mean tacos are the best, so we got to make them as easy as possible for any time on the week.
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup plant mylk
- 1 packet of Old el Paso taco seasoning (or similar)
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 packet of Old eld Paso crispy chicken spice mix (or similar)
- 1.5 tbsp water
- 200g silken tofu
- 1 tsp onion flakes
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp maple
- 1 tbsp dijon or seeded mustard
- salt and pepper
- 2 chopped gherkins
SERVE WITH: carrot, lettuce mix, tomato, vegan cheese and tortillas (about 10 should be enough)
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the first four ingredients until smooth.
- Cut up the cauliflower into bite sized florets and line two baking trays. Dip the cauliflower into the batter, shake off any excess by tapping the floret on the side of the bowl. Place on the lined baking sheets and repeat. Sprinkle over the crunchy chicken spice mix (which happens to be vegan) and cook in the oven for 30 minutes, turning half way.
- Meanwhile make your mayo (it's kinda like a tartar sauce). In a blender combine the remaining ingredients apart from the gherkins. Stir in the pickles once smooth.
- Set your table and prepare the other toppings. Enjoy the crunchy cauliflower pocket of goodness.