Bean & Sausage Casserole // Vegan + GF + RSF
This is such a quick and delicious veggie meal. The smokiness provided by the vegan sausage, paired with the tomatoes and beans is just perfection. I was actually inspired to make this dish by "regrettably" fond memories of a non-vegan equivalent, that I had whilst travelling to visit family in the US. While it had the label of "home-cooked" across it, since I have well and truly learnt how such that meal caused more harm them good in many domains. So while vegan sausages aren't the greatest thing on the planet (health wise) they are rather tasty and give great flavour. Plus, we wouldn't have this problem if vital wheat germ got it's booty over to AUS so I could make my own dang sausages. But in the meanwhile I'm happy to add this to the monthly rotation. Perfect for brunch, dinner or even a late night snack, it's fabulously satisfying.
- 4 vegan sausages (200g), sliced diagonally
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 5 button mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 red capsicum, finely diced
- 1/2 jar passata
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g black-eyed beans, drained (or substitute bean of choice)
- 1/2 tin water
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- In a large heavy-based saucepan, add the sausages and let crisp up without any added oil.
- Once crispy, add the onions, mushrooms, capsicum and a splash of water. Saute until soft.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and stir to combine. Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve with rice, on toast or even with mashed potatoes. Delicious!
VIDEO FOUND HERE