Vegan Spiced Tofu Benedict // GF + RSF
I have to be honest here and say that eggs benedict was never a real favourite of mine pre-vegan days so when it came to veganizing it for my favourite film ever This Beautiful Fantastic I was slightly hesitant. But with most vegan food recreations, your tastebuds are more than willing to give the vegan version a go. And as an alternative to tofu scramble or any other number of vegan "egg" focused breakfasts - this one does pretty darn well for itself. The sauce is so simple to whip up making this whole thing come together in no time at all. Plus a neat little stack ontop of an English Muffin is one lovely looking breakfast/brunch to behold. Enjoy honeybunches!!
Makes enough sauce for 6+ vegan bennedicts
- 2/3 cup almond meal (otherwise known as almond flour or ground almonds)
- 3/4 cup unsweetended soy milk
- 1/2 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 1 heaped tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil (or any light flavoured oil)
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- sprinkle of turmeric
- pinch of black salt (or regular salt, if that's what you have)
- pinch of pepper
- firm tofu
- black salt & pepper
- to serve: sauteed mushrooms, spinach, tomato & english muffins if desired.
- Make the hollondaise to begin with by combining the ingredients from the almond meal all the way down to and including the "pinch of pepper" in a high powdered blender until smooth and combined.
- Transfer the sauce to a small saucepan and gently heat until warmed through, then set aside/keep on low heat until needed.
- Take your firm tofu and cut off as many slices (around 1 cm thick) as you are wanting to top your english muffins with. Take some paper towel and press firmly on each side of the tofu to draw out some excess water.
- Next sprinkle each side of the tofu with the paprika, a little turmeric for colour (not a lot as you'll taste it pretty easily), black salt & pepper - rubbing the spices and seasoning in with your hands.
- Heat a little oil in a non-stick pan and fry off your tofu slabs for a couple of minutes on each side until looking slightly brown & golden and smelling fab.
- Serve your tofu "eggs" on toasted english muffins with some sauteed mushrooms, spinach and even tomato if you fancy. Finish with the hollondaise sauce and tuck in. Deeelish!