Four Ingredient Nutella // Vegan + GF
I've tried to make a "healthy" Nutella before and truth be told it's turned out exceptionally bitter and rather underwhelming. I was th-rilled when I stumbled across this method of making it, as I could see how it would produce a very Nutella-like result. And it does. The texture is a little different and the flavours hit you in a different order (chocolate first, hazelnut last - which plays with your brain), but in my opinion it's just as wonderful as the OG – when it comes to being an A-grade toast-topper, or banana-lather-upper-er.
Makes approx. 500ml (2 cups)
Or two small-medium jars
- 1 heaped cup (175g) skinned hazelnuts
- 1 cup/tin (320g) vegan sweetened condensed milk (check the baking and/or ethnic aisle)
- 1 block (90g) vegan dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- pinch salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C. Topple the hazelnuts onto a baking tray and roast in the pre-heated oven for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden and smelling sensational.
- Transfer the toasted hazelnuts into a food processor and blend for 5 minutes or so, until creamy. This might take a few goes, scraping down every minute, but it should come together into a creamy nut-butter consistency soon enough.
- Meanwhile, heat the sweetened condensed milk in a small saucepan until the first little bubble appears. Take off the heat and add the chocolate. Stir to melt the chocolate and form an ultra smooth ganache.
- Pour the ganache into the food processor, add the pinch of salt and blend again until fully combined. Transfer the Nutella to jars to store or gift away. Enjoy.