Minty Chocolate Mousse // Nut, Oil, Coconut + Gluten Free & Vegan
I truly think I've hit the jackpot with this one. Apart from having to pick your jaw off the floor form being totally flabbergasted at the whole aqua faba magic, your taste buds will dance with joy as the light chocolate-minty air flies down into your amazing bod. It's ridiculously easy too. For the basic mouse you only need (like crucially) chocolate and the whipped chickpea brine - CRAZY I KNOW!!
On a slightly different note, I have come to realise that when it comes to desserts, I just go for a chocolate themed something every time. I mean it just works and tastes amazing. I know that there are rare individuals in the world who are allergic or don't like the taste, but I feel like it's the one food that 99.99999% of the world can't help but find the most sexy thing to dance with your taste buds. Plus it's a super food so what more could you want.
This recipe serves 4 as dessert, but my mum and I finished it off quite easily. Mmmm!
- One tin's worth of Aqua faba (the water from a chickpea can)
- 75g of fair trade, organic, vegan dark chocolate (you want the good stuff)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 peppermint essence
- OPTIONAL: 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- Brake up the chocolate into little pieces and place in a heat proof bowl. Melt by stirring the chocolate over a saucepan of boiling water, or in an oven that's heating up. Take off the heat, and leave to cool.
- Take a large clean (and dry) bowl and beat the aqua faba for around 5-12 minutes until soft-firm peaks form.
- When the chocolate is cooled, fold it into the meringue with the remaining ingredients. Don't worry if the meringue deflates slightly or it does not become overly smooth, it still will have plenty of bubbles so just don't over fold the mixture.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours, serve with berries, cacao nibs, coconut and mint. Delicious!