Mince Pies // Vegan + GF
A classic. Not much to say or explain here, other than emphasise that these are just as fabulous as the original, which is pretty mind-bogglingly wonderful considering they're vegan AND gluten-free. This pastry is pretty wonderful too, achieved through gluten flour and almond meal, as well as some lemon zest which gives it a welcome subtle 'pop'! Overall the result should have everyone fooled if need be hehe, and be easy enough to make an appearance at every Christmas.
Makes 18-24 (depending on size & thickness of pastry)
- 1 1/2 cups plain GF flour (or regular plain flour)
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1/2 tsp xanthum gum
- zest of 1 lemon, finely chopped
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup cold vegan butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (not melted, chill if need be)
- splash of cold water
- 410g jar fruit mince
- In a food processor (or large bowl), add the first six ingredients (down to and including the salt) and pulse to combine. Alternatively mix in the bowl until combined using a spoon.
- Add the vegan butter & coconut oil and pulse again until the mixture is combined/resembles sand. Alternately use a fork (if doing this in a bowl) and mash/break up the butter & oil until it is thoroughly combined and evenly distributed).
- Add a splash of cold water to the food processor/bowl and pulse/mix again until it comes together. Add more water if needed.
- Fashion the pastry into a smooth ball with your hands and flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes minimum.
- When you are ready to make your mince pies, take your pastry out of the fridge & pre-heat your oven to 180C. Ensure it's on the slow setting as opposed to fan-forced if possible.
- Flour a surface and roll out your pastry so it is about a 1/4 inch thick (approx. 3/4 centimetre). Cut out disks using a glass/cookie or scone cutter and place in greased (with vegan butter or some type of oil) minced pie trays (or you could use muffin tins). Place a heaped tsp of the fruit mince in each and then top with a pasty lid or cut out star. You do you honeybunches!
- Once you've built all your mince pies, bake in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes or until slightly golden around the edges. Store in an air-tight container once room temperature. So good :)