Double Baked Leek & Cheese Potatoes // Vegan + GF + Oil Free + Nut Free + RSF
Double baked potatoes, ah the mems. Whoever experimented with this phenomenon I take my hat off to. It's a genius idea. After all, what happens when you continue to cook a soft and squishy spud even more, it becomes even more soft and squishy!! Only good things folks. In my spin on them here, I've decided to strip them back to a simple and deliciously light and flavorful affair, adding juicy leeks and fresh herbs for flavour. While I do think potato and cheese is possibly the best combination ever known to man, sometimes it can be nice to know that something you have loved your entire childhood can be enjoyed each and every day in a perfectly healthy and nourishing form. Win, win!
Makes 8 potato boats
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 leek, cut into half moons
- 4 chunks/cubes of frozen spinach
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp plant milk
- 1 wedge lemon, juiced (2 tsp approx)
- 1 heaped tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 1 tbsp mint, chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C fan-forced.
- Take your potatoes and wash them. Pierce with a skewer multiple times all over to ensure for even cooking. Bake in the oven, on a lined baking tray, for 45 minutes or until soft inside.
- Meanwhile, water saute the leek until soft.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, wait until cool and workable, or use a tea-towel to protect your hands from their heat. Cut each potato in half to form two boats. Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh, leaving a sturdy shell. Placing the cooked potato into the pan with the leeks (heat turned off). Put the shells back on the tray.
- To the leeks and the potato flesh, add the remaining ingredients. Mixing and mashing the mixture together until smooth.
- Return the potato mixture back into the skins, keeping in mind that they will now have a little mound with the added ingredients. Smooth over with a fork.
- Return to the oven under the drill setting for 10 minutes, or until crispy and lightly browned. Enjoy with some salad and a chutney/sauce of choice.