Chocolate 'Ripple' Cake // Vegan + Gluten Free
This is peak nostalgia! The simplicity of this dessert is captured in this version - with the ever-satisfying method of assembly (sandwiching biscuits together with fluffy cream) working just as well. This recipe is a joy. One of my new favourite puddings, no question <3
*Start preparations at least 4 hours in advance.
**This recipe showcases The Vegan Dairy's Dutch Chocolate Crème - however similar thick chocolate crème products would also work.
Serves 4-8 (depending on desired serving size)
- 160g vegan chocolate biscuits (e.g. Chocolate Ripple for vegan, Woolworths Free From Double Choc Chip Biscuitsfor vegan & gluten-free).
- 1 cup Natural COYO coconut yoghurt*
- 1 x jar ‘The Vegan Dairy’ Dutch Chocolate Crème**
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or any liquid sweetener)
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup strong black coffee
- 1 tbsp Kalúa liquor (optional)
To Decorate: chopped/shaved vegan dark chocolate
- In a large bowl, beat the COYO with electric beaters/whisk until thick. Add the Dutch Chocolate Crème and beat again to thoroughly incorporate. Add the cocoa powder, maple syrup and salt, beating once again to combine.
- Comprehensively line a loaf tin (or any oblong vessel) with plastic wrap (baking paper would also work), so that there is plenty of overhang.
- In a small bowl, mix the black coffee with the Kalúa.
- To start building your log take one of the biscuits, briefly submerge it in the coffee/liquor mixture, then dollop a heaped tablespoon of chocolate cream onto one side of the biscuit. Stand it on it’s side against the short side of your tin/container, then repeat with the remaining biscuits. Refer to the photographs for reference. Refrigerate the leftover chocolate cream – you will need it later to coat the log.
- Gather up the overhanging sides of the plastic wrap (including the short ends) and peg together to secure the shape of the log (refer to the photographs). Refrigerate your log for a minimum of 4 hours (ideally 6, or overnight).
- At least 30 minutes before serving, gently unwrap your log and transfer to a serving plate. Spread the remaining chocolate cream over the log & sprinkle with chopped/shaved dark chocolate. Refrigerate for 30 minutes (minimum) to ‘set’ before slicing & serving. Slice on the diagonal for that ripple cake ‘look’.
*You must use Natural COYO for this recipe to work. Other coconut yoghurts do not thicken when whipped.