Caramel Apple Flan // Vegan + Nut Free
So this is the perfect dessert to make when you just need to make something quick for some guests that are popping in for dinner. You don't want to make something too fancy, but you want it to taste good, appeal to a wide range of taste buds, and be easy to make with ingredients you have on hand. With apples being the only fresh ingredients here (and let's be real - in the fridge they can last a rather long time), it's easy to make in 10 minutes. Then in a warm oven, it takes no time at all. No really, you don't want to burn the pastry - that just looks bad, even if it is full of caramelly apple goodness. It's not the healthiest thing on the planet, but if you make it for those odd occasions, then it's not going to become your everyday anyway. I think you'll be fine...well...better than fine, because it's absolutely delicious!!
Makes 1 tart, serves 4
- 3 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into slices
- 1 sheet of vegan puff pastry (the non-butter one)
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tbsp red or orange jam (berry or citrus works well)
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- little nobs of coconut oil/nuttelex/earth balance
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C.
- Take your pastry out of the freezer to defrost. In the meantime cut up your apple if you haven't already. Then place it in a bowl with the lemon juice to marinade.
- Line a tray with baking paper. Place the pastry in the centre and lightly score it with a knife - drawing a square inside the square of pastry, about 1 1/2 cm from the edge. This created a border that will puff up and be your indication as to when it is ready.
- Spread the jam over the pastry, staying inside the border. Line with the apple slices and then sprinkle over with the coconut sugar. Place a few little (and I mean little) nibs of coconut oil in between the gaps of apple. You will probably end up using 1-2 tsp of oil total.
- Place in the pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes or until brown and crisp around the edges. Keep an eye on it because it won't take very long at all. Serve immediately by itself or with a little coconut yogurt/vegan vanilla ice cream, as it doesn't stay warm for too long.