Steamed Veg & Tofu Bowl // Vegan + GF + Oil Free
As much as I love vegan cheesiness and carb-ful vegan meals, sometimes I just want perfectly cooked vegetables that is beyond easy on the stomach. I know, I might be put on trial for vegan jail for saying it, but it's true. This was the result of such a desire and I must say it ticks a few boxes. Those being...
- The getting me to like brown rice box
- The getting me to absolutely adore tahini box
- The quick and easy to make box
- The I feel like a fairy princess after eating this box
If you are wanting a dinner that is equally tasty as it is healthy then I assure you this will satisfy your desire. If you are a predominantly meat eater, then up the tofu quantity. The mix of vegetables is really up to you, but if you don't want to be board then do shake if up and put a bit of everything in there. It's a great dish to use up odds and ends in your fridge draw too. Enjoy!
Serves 4 hungry eaters.
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 750g of mixed vegetables and tofu (e.g. cauliflower, carrots, broccoli, cabbage, kale, zucchini and firm tofu)
- 4 tbsp hulled tahini
- 2-3 tbsp coconut aminos (to taste)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- pine nuts to garnish, raw is fine
- Boil some water and cook the brown rice according to packet instructions. This can take up to 45 minutes.
- Chop all your vegetables into bite sized pieces, and cube the tofu. Steam all your vegetables and tofu (to warm through) in a steamer (or a colander set over a pot of boiling water) until tender. You will most likely have to do this in two rounds. The firmer vegetables like carrots, broccoli and cabbage with take longer to cook.
- Meanwhile prepare your sauce by whisking the tahini, coconut aminos, lemon and pepper together in a small bowl until smooth. Taste and adjust to your likening.
- To serve, place the rice and vegetable mix (including tofu) in bowls, then drizzle over the sauce and sprinkle with some pine nuts.
*VIDEO FOUND HERE