Cauliflower Pesto Pasta // Vegan + GF
I never really got the idea of comfort food. I guess I just thought, why have only utterly delicious food on some days. Every time you put something into your mouth it should tantalise your taste buds, should it not? However then again I was eating within the vegan confines anyway which leave out a lot of crap that people associate with 'comfort'. Hmm....custard made with the milk of a cow, who's had their child taken away from them, are constantly being artificially impregnated time and time again and are always standing having their udders sucked forcefully....yeah, comforting. But never fear, I have totally found that once you eliminate these 'foods' you realise that simple things taste utterly incredible and your new idea of 'comfort food' might actually be a green juice. Okay you can laugh in my face at that one, bad example - but you get my drift.
That being said, THIS is the one dish I would absolutely call comfort food. Having drastically reduced my oil intake on the day-to-day, this pasta is kind of the book end of the upper spectrum, yet tastes TOO good to cast off completely. Pesto is just a green liquid from the gods. So try this and grumble about the oil content later. This recipe serves 4, or more as a side dish.
- 1/2 large cauliflower
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of dried chilli
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp mixed yeast
- cracked pepper
- leaves from one bunch of basil
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp vegan parmesan (optional)
- salt and pepper to season
- 500g GF pasta (e.g. rice, corn or spelt)
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Prepare the cauliflower by chopping it into bite sized florets. Place in a bowl and add the next five ingredients. Toss with your hands and place on a baking tray, lined with baking paper. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned and tender.
- To make the pesto, combine the remaining ingredients (minus the pasta) in a blender or a mini food processor until combined.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet directions.
- In a large bowl combine the roasted cauliflower, the pesto and the pasta (BUT WAIT) with two ladles of starchy cooking water. Gently toss to combine. Serve and devour :)
*VIDEO FOUND HERE