Best-Ever Wedges with Sweet Chilli Sour Cream // Vegan + GF + RSF
Wedges. Ahhh childhood memories stack up thick when I think of them. The 'out for lunch' staple until I was about, I don't know... 13 - and then perhaps they weren't so common-place. Anyhoo - the spice combo on them always seemed un-recreatable!! However, on one random occasion the other month I hit the jackpot. Well a pretty close jackpot that took me right back. A real Gustav in ratatouille, eating the ratatouille moment. Old Bay seasoning and paprika, as well as the use of grapeseed oil over olive, seemed to do the trick. I've completed the recreation with some vegan sour cream to dip these babes in - which feels very non-vegan and fabulous as it goes down the hatch.
You can make this recipe work with what you've got obviously. I have only found Old Bay Seasoning in the 'Prahran Convenience Store' if you're in Melbourne, otherwise, you might be in a pickle if not in the US/Canada region. Online sources would be my recommend course of action.
Gosh these are good honeybunches - do hope you get your mouth around them soon!!
- 5-6 medium potatoes (or equivalent)
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- sweet paprika
- old bay seasoning
- salt & pepper
- grapeseed oil
- vegan cheese (optional)
- 1 cup cashews, soaked
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- generous pinch salt
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonaise
- sweet chilli sauce
- Preheat your oven to 220C.
- Peel, wash and slice your potatoes into wedges. Pat them dry with a tea towel and add to a large bowl.
- Sprinkle over some of the four spices listed next on the ingredients list, going a little heavier on the paprika and old bay seasoning. Add the salt & pepper as well as a generous drizzle of grapeseed oil, then using your hands toss until each wedge is thoroughly coated.
- Add to a lined baking tray (or unlined if you so please), and finely grate over some vegan cheese if using. Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven, then flip once before cooking for another 20 minutes.
- While the wedges are cooking, make your sour cream by blending the cashews, water, lemon, vinegar, salt & mayo in a high powered blender until smooth. Transfer to a container and let sit in the freezer until serving time (to speed up the chilling time), otherwise, store this stuff in the fridge.
- When the wedges are done, serve with some of the sour cream with a little drizzle or sweet chilli sauce if you so please.